Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My Summer Olympics

One of my favorite bloggers, Mary Hunt at Money Rules, Debt Stinks, is sponsoring her own version of the summer games, the DPL Summer Olympics, to inspire her readers to enter an "event" that will challenge them to improve something in their life. She mainly encourages entry into "events" that encourage budgeting, saving money, living frugally, etc., but is allowing a "healthy living" category too.

One of the things I've been doing this summer is to take advantage of having some extra time on my hands by doing some things I ordinarily don't have time for. This seemed like the perfect opportunity to commit to completing some projects in August.

Project #1 - Making 9 Gifts instead of Buying Them

Finish all 9 projects = GOLD
Finish 7 = SILVER
Finish 5 = BRONZE

This includes: 5 baby gifts, 2 birthday gifts, 1 batch of Christmas gifts (they are easy, so I'm counting the whole batch as one project) and 1 marathon Birthday card-making session, so I have enough cards to last until the end of the year.

Project #2 - Healthy Living Marathon

GOLD
- walk or jog 40+ miles in 17 days
SILVER - walk or jog 30-39 miles
BRONZE - walk or jog 21-29 miles

I'm currently doing about 10-12 miles a week, so that would equal 25-30 miles, or a "Bronze" if I maintain that rate, and a notable increase in my current rate to reach the higher levels.

I'd better make myself a training schedule... opening ceremonies are only 2 weeks away!

No comments:

Post a Comment