Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Earthquake Weather

Forgive me if this post lacks any coherency... as I was awakened at 4:30 this morning by an earthquake.

Lately, people around here have been talking about "earthquake weather," as though one could predict that conditions were perfect for a tremblor. Last time I checked, earthquake predicting was still more guesswork than science, but you can't convince everyone of that. So what is earthquake weather? It's quiet and still. Often very little breeze. The air is filled with a sense of expectancy.

You'd think I would be easily able to define "earthquake weather," having lived in California for a good majority of my life, but I heard this term for the first time a couple weeks ago. Someone had called in to the morning radio show I listen to, wondering if the current weather qualified as earthquake weather.

The DJ's assured her that the freak thunderstorm (a remnant of Hurricane Dean travelled north) was definitely not earthquake weather, so we were "safe." Hmmm. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment