Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Book: The Amethyst Heart

When I found this book at my favorite used book store, I snapped it up before anyone else could. Years ago, I read The Blue Bottle Club by this same author, and although I don't remember the details, I do remember really enjoying the story. The Amethyst Heart didn't disappoint.

Although marked fiction, I would consider it more historical fiction, as the book traced a family from Mississippi from the days before the civil war to the present, including the historical and social events relevant to the setting. The Amethyst Heart is an heirloom passed down through the generations, a symbol of the family's faith and commitment to the motto engraved on the back: "Sincerity, Purity, Nobility."

Like the other books of Christian fiction I most enjoy, the faith of the characters seemed so real that I find it inspiring. In a way, I sometimes learn lessons from fictional characters that influence my own faith in the moment. Even that aside, Stokes is a good storyteller, and an author I would choose to read again.

The Amethyst Heart by Penelope J. Stokes

No comments:

Post a Comment