Saturday, March 14, 2009

Book: Twilight

I just had to read this book and see what all the fuss was about. I mean, if millions of people are reading it, it must be good, right?

Perhaps if I was seventeen again, this would be exactly the kind of story I would love. Perhaps if I was seventeen again, I wouldn't be as terribly pragmatic as I am today, and would be able to overlook the problematic aspects of falling in love with a vampire. Like the Sweet Valley High books I read when I was in high school, this romance satisfies the ideal romance that the average seventeen-year-old might have: stolen glances across the cafeteria, passing notes during class and who is going to invite you to prom. Only the guy happens to be a vampire.

Perhaps if I was seventeen again, I would be able to overlook more than 300 pages of what seemed like relatively mediocre writing to reach the point where the plot was interesting enough to qualify as a page-turner. The early chapters of this book definitely had me wondering what the millions were thinking. Not that I claim to be a brilliant writer, but I'd like to think I can identify it now and then... and rightfully conclude that this wasn't it. I may be a bit harsh as the book was written for high-schoolers, and therefore my expectations may have been too high; but I've lost count of the number of my contemporaries who rushed out to see the movie when it was released recently.

Although single, my 30something idea of romance is quite a bit different than it was when I was seventeen. Yes, I would love it if you send me flowers and magically save my life when I'm in imminent peril, but will you help me navigate the daily challenges of life and love? A romantic walk in the woods is nice, too, and if you're a good kisser like the book's hero, all the better... but if you don't happen to be human, I'm just not seeing a long-term future for us.

So that said, the debate is on: to read or not to read the rest of the series? This book would have been a great light read for a long plane ride or afternoon on the beach, so the next time I am anticipating that kind of free time, I might reach for number two. After all, the teaser chapter at the end of book one did kind of capture my interest. Once I got the the good part, I really couldn't wait to see how it ended, and I admit I'm kind of curious to know what happens next.

Twilight
by Stephenie Meyer
--
Originally posted at: http://rebeccasmiscellanies.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I have not read any of the Twilight books, but have been repeatedly told that I am 'missing out' on an integral part of 21st century pop culture. I was starting to worry. I'm glad I am not the only one who was not completely blown away by the whole premise of the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete