Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful Thursday #28: Thanksgiving 2008

A year ago during Thanksgiving season, I realized that I was not spending enough time being thankful for the blessings in my life, so I decided to start writing a weekly post to express my gratitude. Well, my intent was to post weekly and by the title of this one, you can do the math and easily determine that it's been more like biweekly. I'm just going to just assume that represents an increase in thanks-giving, and consider this experiment a success.

More than that, I fully intend to continue Thankful Thursday posts, mostly as an act of faith and obedience a reminder to myself that gratitude is in important act of faith. An act of obedience even, as the Bible tells us:

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving,
present your requests to God.
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus
- Philippians 4:4, 6-7

Today, our entire nation pauses for a day designed to give thanks, and so, I join in with a list of just a few of the many blessings that I will give thanks for today.

* * * * *

I am thankful for God’s gift of grace and forgiveness, that although given freely, was not without great cost to Himself.

My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought,
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord, Oh, my Soul!
- It is Well with My Soul
(When Peace Like a River)

I am thankful for God’s perfect timing, for his faithfulness, and for the gift of believing He has a plan for me.

He has made everything beautiful in its time.
He has also set eternity in the hearts of men;
yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
- Ecclesiastes 3:11

I am grateful for God’s provision and for His meeting my needs in unexpected ways before I even dared to ask.

And my God will meet all your needs
according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
- Philippians 4:19

I am grateful for the gifts of friendship and fellowship, and the innumerable blessings this has brought into my life this year and every year. I am thankful for being placed in a community of believers at my church where I am loved, challenged, taught and allowed to slearn the joy of serving.

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
- Proverbs 27:17

My friends, may you grow in grace,
And in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior
My friends, may you grow in grace,
And in the love of Jesus Christ.
- Benediction

I am thankful for this verse, shared by a friend this year:

My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
- Psalm 73:26

To this great God, who has indeed blessed me abundantly, I offer this:

Now to him who is able
to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,
according to his power that is at work within us,
to him be glory in the church
and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations,
for ever and ever!
Amen.
- Ephesians 3:20-21

* * * * *

May you and your loved ones be blessed on this day of Thanksgiving.
-- Originally posted at: http://rebeccasmiscellanies.blogspot.com/ --

1 comment:

  1. Oh Charlie! We can't wait for you to come!!! Come soon :-)

    Sara

    ReplyDelete