Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thankful Thursday: 4 to 1

Sometimes it's the little things. I was downloading some new podcasts this week, something I couldn't really do until about six months ago because, yes, I was stuck with dial-up internet. It's not that we didn't want to upgrade, but just that there is literally no cable or DSL on our street. That is one of the downsides to living in this beautiful, rural, corner of the world.

Technically, I'm still on dial-up, but now it's a broadband wireless card. Now I have internet anywhere I can get a cell signal.

So back to podcasts. I was watching the timer click down "2 minutes remaining" and realized that in those two minutes I was getting about 8 MB of podcast... a ratio of 1 minute to 4 MB. If you have "real" high-speed, you're probably not impressed by that. But for comparison's sake, on the old dial up the ratio was more like 4-5 minutes per 1 MB - exactly opposite.

It's the little things.

--
http://rebeccasmiscellanies.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment