Thursday, August 14, 2008

Rotten Tomatoes

Otherwise Titled:
Why Groceries Are SO Expensive These Days


I'm heading home from my vacation today, and I've split the return trip into three legs so I can stop off and see some relatives along the way. Today's route took me from the southeast San Francisco Bay Area east to California's central valley, then south to my aunt's house. The central valley is prime agricultural country, and has been for probably as long as people have lived here.

I had noticed on my trip north through the valley that I was passing a lot trucks just full of ripe tomatoes. They were also heading north, just at a slower pace, which I'm sure will surprise no one who's been in the car with me. HaHa. Today as I headed south, I noticed that even more trucks full of tomatoes were headed north. I didn't think much of it, other than the fact that it must be tomato season.

Then I began to overtake a truck heading south, and when I got closer I noticed that it, too, was full of . . . tomatoes. Is it just me, or is that just a little crazy? No, I'm sure it's not just me. I'm sure there is some reason why semi-truck loads of tomatoes are passing each other on the freeway, going opposite directions. Some reason that supersedes the common sense idea that if they traded destinations, it might cost less for that tomato I need at the supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment