Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Was it something I said?

I think I have occupational bad luck. While I've had some interesting jobs, and liked some things about all of them, I was thinking recently about some changes at my current job and realized this is the third job in a row that my boss has quit or changed jobs on me.

Anyone who's ever had a job - any job - knows that a boss can make it or break it. It's a huge factor in job satisfaction. And when you're spending more waking hours at work than anywhere else, it's a notable factor in life satisfaction as well. (Those of you who are your own boss, paint me envy green for just a moment.)

Currently, I am without a boss, and it's unclear when or how that might change. When it does, it will be like starting a brand new job, but without as much choice or control over the terms as if it was actually a new job. There is an upside: I already know where to find the bathrooms and the coffee pot. But I fear a possible downside: a 50% chance the new boss will not be as good or easy to work with as the old boss.

In the meantime, if you happen to ask, "how's your job going?" you might get a melancholy response. The truth is, I just don't know how to answer that.

2 comments:

  1. Change is hard isn't it, especially when you've gotten used to one person's style for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying that things work out in the boss department for you at work. Hopefully, when that new person is there a bit, and someone asks you how work is going, you'll be able to say "wonderful!"

    ReplyDelete